Monday, November 5, 2007

Mom's recipes

For those of you who have followed the blog comments under the Banana Split Cake post regarding what to do with Mom's recipes, I think I have come to a decision. I have really given this some thought, and I want everyone to be happy with the outcome.

Susan is right - I did agree to split the recipes up, and I would not go back on a commitment that I made. I understand why it is important for each person to have those recipes in Mom's original hand that are addressed to or make reference to them, or perhaps were childhood favorites growing up.

So, I have an idea. I would like to make a recipe book and give each person a copy for Christmas.

Check out this site: Blurb.com

It will be professionally done and will contain pictures of the family and mom's handwritten recipes.

What I need from all of you is to send me pictures of mom that you have and/or special pictures of our family growing up - high resolution electronic scans only, please - I do not want to be responsible for taking care of precious pictures and returning them.

I think this book will be a great memorial to mom and a tribute to having her in our lives.

Then, after the book is completed, I will send everyone some original recipes to keep for themselves (any with personal mention or personally requested favorites will be given to each person). At least mom's legacy can be preserved in a book and I think that is good enough for posterity.

What do you all think?

25 comments:

Me and the Boys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Me and the Boys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Me and the Boys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fancy Nancy Pants said...

I don't know if we should have the recipies all split up or not...
I don't know. It's a nice thaught knowing they're all together in one pack. I don't know... that's just my opinion. I think they should stay together. Your Christmas idea is perrrrrrrfect!
That way everyone gets what they want and everything stays together. Adding Mom's picture's to it is such a nice touch! I'm so excited, Warren, this is a great idea for Christmas gifts.

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

Hey Warren, you would scan all the recipies so it's mom's writing, right? I'm pretty sure that's how you'd do it.
right?

Warren's Blog said...

Yes, I would scan all mom's handwritten recipies in high resolution. If anything, they would look bigger and just as clear as the originals. And I think the ink in the book would last much longer.

It's a big project. It's going to take me many hours.

Fancy Nancy Pants said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Warren's Blog said...

Thanks again for understanding, Nancy. You're awesome.
Well I'm making the book no matter what we decide to do with the originals. And it's going to be good. In fact, I think it's going to be great.
Who has pictures? I need all the pictures I can get.

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

I just checked blurb.com out. Wow looks like they do a dang good job. I love it!

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

I don't have many pictures, but I can look and hopfully find a couple.

Fancy Nancy Pants said...

Sorry. that deleted blog to Susan sounded really snoty.
I'm sorry.
I just want everyone to be happy.

Warren's Blog said...

You're so sweet and condiderate, Nancy. Sallie is too. I just had a really nice conversation with her.

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

OH MY GOSH WARREN


GREAT IDEA!!!!


YOU KNOW I LOVE IT!!!



(and very nice of you by the way to take on this project)

carol's company has a program to do cook books also where you can actually see the virtual book in progress as you make it, turn pages and such, but i don't know the pricing...and it looks like you found a great book company anyway.

Warren's Blog said...

Hey Susan. I hear that you have scanned pictures of mom and the family. Can I use them for the book?

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

hey, don't you still have the cd of pics i sent out to you for christmas last year?

i sent one out to everyone with the christmas ornament.....but

i have a back up on my computer, if anyone needs another one, i can send it.

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

and nancy fancy pants...you make me laugh

Warren's Blog said...

I don't know where that is. Could you send it to me?

Warren's Blog said...

Who has the old family slides? I could take them in to be scanned.

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

ya, i'll send you another one...and DAD has the family slides....good luck getting them from him

Warren's Blog said...

Who would like to get the family slides from dad? We really need them for the book, and they are not doing anyone any good sitting in a box.

Maria Tortilla said...

ME ME PICK ME!!!!

I'll do it. I will get the family slides from the big guy! When do you want them Warren?

And Susan, I need another disk of mom from you if its ok. I lost mine somehow. Thanks susan.

Maria Tortilla said...

And Warren,
I love your idea for the family! Even though I don't know how to cook in the least. There is no better way then to learn form the Best! mom!

Warren's Blog said...

Marie,
That would be great. I'll scan them in and we can all see them. Tell Dad that I'll send an electonic copy of all the images. It will be better that way.
Let me know when you have them.
Warren

Warren's Blog said...

And, of course, I'll return the slides as soon as I'm done.

James Kirby said...

Great idea Warren. thanks for doing this!